FEATURES & OVERVIEW
There are four main relative visas that people can apply for: Offshore Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 114), Onshore Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 838), Offshore Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115), Onshore Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835).
If this sounds complex, don’t worry; we’ll go into some of the scenarios where these types of visas will apply to you.
As always, for specified visa information and advice tailored to your needs, you can always book a skype appointment with one of our migration agents or send us an enquiry.
There are specific requirements for each visa, but you will need to satisfy all of the following for all the visas mentioned on this page: •
- You must have a near relation to an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- That person you are related to is 18 years of age or older.
- You must obtain assurance of support; a paid bond and document that provides you aren’t at risk of relying on government support.
You must be sponsored by an eligible person, which must be an Australian permanent resident, citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen. Sponsors must be reviewed by government before the application can proceed. All relative visas require your sponsor to be a relative. However, the 115 and 835 subclass visas require your relative to meet the ‘near relative’ requirements.
To qualify as a ‘near relative’, your sponsor must be a:
- Parent or step-parent; or
- Partner’s parent or step-parent; or
- Sibling or step-sibling; or
- Child or stepchild who is 18 or older and not dependent on you; or
- Child or stepchild who is under 18 and not in your or your partner’s daily care and control
TYPES OF RELATIVE VISA
Offshore Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 114)
This visa is suited to applicants living outside of Australia, who are dependent on a relative currently living in Australia for financial support. It provides permanent Australian residency. For this visa, you must be of the Australian pension age.
To be eligible for an Aged Dependent Relative Visa (subclass 114), you must:
- Be sponsored by a relative or their partner who lives in Australia
- Not be married or in a de facto relationship
- Meet age requirements
- Have an assurance of support
- Pass the character and health requirements