Smiling Family Making Selfie At Home


Get help with your contributory parent visa application through AIS Immigration Solutions. We’re an experienced team of migrancy agents, providing assistance with 173 and 143 parent visa applications, as well as many more routes to permanent residency. Send us an enquiry or book in a skype meeting with us to discuss your visa options and get tailored advice to suit your circumstances. We can provide you with guidance through the entire application process to make the experience simple and stress-free.


The 173 visa is a temporary residency visa for parents of Australian residents. It is contributory, meaning you’ll get access to public health (Medicare), but as a result, you’ll be contributing a larger fee to compensate. The 173 visa allows applicants to move to the 143 permanent residency visa at a reduced rate, so it’s a great option for parents seeking permanent residency with staggered and more flexible payments. To learn more about the permanent contributory parent visa, visit our page on 143 visas.


To obtain a 143 visa, you must:

  • be sponsored by an eligible Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • meet the balance-of-family test plus our character and health requirement
  • have an Assurance of Support

You can be in or outside of Australia when you apply for this visa.


To be an eligible contributory parent, at least half your children must live in Australia, or more children live in Australia than any other country.

Step-children are included in this test, but any children that are no longer legally part of your exclusive custody are not.

For an example of the balance of family test in action, visit the Home Affairs webpage.


You must be sponsored by an eligible person, which must be an Australian permanent resident, citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Sponsors must be reviewed by government before the application can proceed. Most sponsors for a contributory parent visa are children.

However, if your children are under 18, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative or community organisation


  • You must pass the character and health requirements.
  • You must obey all Australian laws during your residency.
  • You must obtain assurance of support; a paid bond and document that proves you aren’t at risk of relying on government support.
  • You must have paid back any debt owing to the Australian government, if any.
  • You must have not had a visa previously cancelled.
  • The application must be in the best interests of the children living in Australia (if under 18).


Applying for the 173 visa requires an application fee of $2,850 + additional fees for every additional applicant, varying on their age. Once the application has been granted, $29,130 is required from each applicant.

If you’d like to apply for the permanent contributory parent visa (143) at a later date, another $19,420 will be required if the application is granted. For a greater overview of the costs and your various options, we recommend visiting the page on parents visa costs.


A 173-visa application suits a parent of an Australian resident who would like to receive the full benefits of Medicare, and the ability to work and travel. If you’re after a permanent 143 visa, the 173 visa offers more flexible payment by staggering the costs. If you’ve already got a de facto partner or spouse living in Australia, another option would be an onshore or offshore partner visa application.


Still unsure about what visa works best for you or simply require professional assistance in your contributory parent visa application? Get in touch with our friendly team on +61 7 3216 0052 or send us an enquiry!