The Training and Research Visa (subclass 402) has three eligibility streams:
Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.
Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months.
Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.
Occupational Trainee stream:
To be granted this visa in the Occupational Trainee stream, you must intend to participate in occupational training for which:
- you were identified in an approved nomination by an Australian organisation (other than a Commonwealth agency)
- you were invited (if the training is being provided by a Commonwealth agency).
Professional Development Stream:
To be granted this visa in the Professional Development stream, you must apply under one of the following arrangements (you will need a letter of offer):
- you are employed by an eligible registered business
- you are invited or employed by a foreign government agency, including provincial, territory or state governments of foreign countries
- you are invited or employed by an international multilateral organisation.
- be sponsored by an approved professional development sponsor who is already party to a professional development agreement
- have managerial or other professional skills relevant to the professional development program (your current manager must write a letter on company letterhead detailing your current position and duties)
- have the level of English language proficiency needed for the professional development program
- have a genuine intention to complete the professional development program
- be able to pay any costs you are liable to pay under the professional development agreement.
Your sponsor must write a letter to support your claims about your professional or managerial skills and your English language proficiency.
To be granted this visa in the Research stream, you must have been invited to observe or participate in an Australian research project, usually for a period of up to 12 months:
- at the sponsoring Australian tertiary or research institution
- in collaboration with other academics employed by the sponsoring Australian tertiary or research institution.
- be employed or have been employed as an academic at a tertiary or research institution and hold or have held a senior academic title
- have the qualifications and experience required for the position
- have a significant record of achievement in your field
- not be paid for your participation, other than a contribution towards living and travel expenses.
To apply for either the Occupational Trainee or Research stream, you and anyone included your application can be in or outside Australia when applying.
Is this visa right for me?
The Training and Research visa is not a work visa. This visa is only suitable for an occupational trainee, professional, manager or government official or professional academic.