Asian Family


AIS Immigration Solutions are expert migration agents, with specialised experience in handling contributory aged parent visa applications in Australia. We assist with both temporary and permanent applications and can guide you in deciding which visa scheme would be best suited to your circumstances. We’ll help you through the application process to improve the chances of a successful application in a timely manner.

Send us an enquiry, give us a call on +61 7 3216 0052, or arrange a skype meeting with one of our professional migration agents.


The 884 (temporary) and 864 (permanent) visas are contributory aged parent visas. In many ways, this visa is similar to the contributory parent visas (temporary – 173 and permanent – 143). To compensate for the contributory fee, you receive access to public health (Medicare). Permanent visa holders will be able to apply for citizenship when they become eligible.

Waiting periods for most social security payments are two years, and ten years for aged and disability pension benefits. In addition to a standard application fee, permanent (864) contributory aged parent visas are required to pay a contributory fee of $43,600 plus $43,600 for each additional applicant once the applicant has been finalised and granted.

For a more staggered payment structure, you can apply for the temporary (864) visa for a smaller contributory payment, then move to a permanent visa while living in Australia. Temporary visas are allowed to stay in Australia for two years from the date of their application approval.


To be eligible for these visas, you must:

  • Have an eligible child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply for this visa and when the application is finalised
  • Meet all applicable visa conditions and follow Australian law
  • Be aged over 65

You can be in or outside of Australia when you apply for the temporary (884) visa, however you need to be inside of Australia when the permanent (864) visa is granted.


To be an eligible contributory parent, at least half your children must live in Australia, or more children live in Australia than any other country.

Step-children are included in this test, but any children that are no longer legally part of your exclusive custody are not.

For an example of the balance of family test in action, visit the Home Affairs webpage.


You must be sponsored by an eligible person, which must be an Australian permanent resident, citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Sponsors must be reviewed by government before the application can proceed. Most sponsors for a contributory parent visa are children.

However, if your children are under 18, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative or community organisation


  • You must pass the character and health requirements.
  • You must obey all Australian laws during your residency.
  • You must obtain assurance of support; a paid bond and document that proves you aren’t at risk of relying on government support.
  • You must have paid back any debt owing to the Australian government, if any.
  • You must have not had a visa previously cancelled.
  • The application must be in the best interests of the children living in Australia (if under 18).


Applying for the 884 and 864 visas requires an application fee of $4,225 + additional fees for every additional applicant, varying on their age. Once the application has been granted, $29,130 is required from each applicant.

If you’d like to apply for the permanent contributory parent visa (143) at a later date, another $19,420 will be required if the application is granted. For a greater overview of the costs and your various options, we recommend visiting the page on parents visa costs.


The contributory aged parent visas suit applicants over the age of 65 who have children in Australia and would like to receive Medicare benefits. It entitles you to pension benefits at a later date, but contributory payments are required to offset this. One way to stagger the payments is to apply through the temporary two-year visa (884) and then move to the (864) visa.

If you aren’t over the age of 65, the 143 – permanent and 173 – temporary contributory parent schemes might best suit you. Alternatively, if you’ve got a spouse or de facto partner who’s a permanent resident or citizen living in Australia, you may be able to apply through one of the partner visa schemes. The noncontributory aged parent visa – 804 is also available.


Need help in finding the right visa for permanent Australian residency, or need help in gaining your contributory aged parent visa? Give us a call on +61 7 3216 0052 or book a skype appointment with one of our professionals for tailored advice.