Australian Education Requirements:
In the past 6 months before you applied for this visa you must have met the Australian study requirement. You will meet this if you are awarded at least one degree and:
- Your course was a CRICOS-registered course
- You successfully completed all course requirements
- Your study was in English
- You completed your course as a result of at least two academic years (92 weeks) study
- You were physically in Australia for at least 16 calendar months to complete the study
- You held an Australian study visa that allowed you to study
To meet the 2 academic year component of the Australian study requirement, you may combine courses in some circumstances.
Your eligible duration of stay will depend on the degree you obtained:
- Any Bachelor’s Degree: Two years
- Coursework Master’s Degree: Two years
- Research Master’s Degree: Three years
- Doctoral Research Degree: Four years
- You must pass the character and health requirements, plus have adequate health insurance.
- You must obey all Australian laws during your residency.
- You must be under 50 years of age.
- You and your parents must have paid back any debt owing to the Australian government, if any.
- You must have not had a visa previously cancelled.
- You cannot have previously held a 485 or 476 visa.
- Pass English requirements (usually a 6+ overall and 5+ in each area of the IELTS test). Holding a passport from Ireland, the UK, the US, Canada or New Zealand exempts you from this requirement. Further details on English requirements are available here.
- You must currently hold a student visa or have previously held a student visa in the past six months and are currently on a bridging visa. You must not have held a student visa prior to 5 November 2011.
The base application fee for this visa stream starts at $1,535. Additional fees apply for any dependent family members you have on your application. Police and health checks will also likely be necessary.
Is this visa right for me?
Select this visa if you’ve graduated from an Australian bachelor’s degree or higher. You are also eligible for the temporary graduate (graduate work stream) visa, however it has more conditions. This visa stream is advantageous because it costs the same, takes the same time to process, and doesn’t require you to work in a specific field. You’ll also have access to a longer stay.
Still unsure whether this visa suits your circumstances? Get in touch with AIS Immigration Solutions today to speak to a skilled migration agent. Our team have decades of experience in helping students just like you obtain working visas to extend their stay in Australia. If you can’t make it to our Brisbane office, why not book a one-on-one skype meeting with one of our migration agents?