Recognised Graduate (476 Visa)
Lovely Couple Isolated On Grey

Recognised Engineering Graduate Visa (Post-Study Work Stream)

See whether you qualify for the Recognised Engineering Graduate Visa (subclass 476) in Australia. AIS Immigration Solutions are here to help. Based in Brisbane, our migration agents can provide guidance and assistance with your application or provide you with key advice to identify the right visa scheme for your needs. Get in touch with us today on +61 7 3216 0052 or by sending an enquiry. If you can’t make it to our Brisbane offices, we provide booked skype meetings for one-on-one assistance.

Features and Overview:

This visa allows you to obtain temporary permanent residency for up to 18 months. You must apply for it within two years of receiving your engineering qualification, which must come from a recognised institution (below). It entitles you to temporary residency with the option to move up to a permanent visa at a later date. You can bring dependent family with you and travel in and outside of Australia as often as you like throughout the 18-month period.


To obtain a Recognised Graduate visa, you must:

  • Be under 31 years of age
  • Have completed an engineering degree at a specified educational institution in the past two years
  • Not have previously been the primary visa holder of a subclass 476 or 485 visa

Application Process:

90% of applications for this visa are processed within eight months of applying. You can be inside or outside of Australia when you apply for this visa. You can include dependent family members in your application, subject to greater fees. They may also be eligible to arrive as a subsequent entrant at a later date.

Engineering Education Requirements:

When you apply, you must have completed an engineering course for which you were awarded a degree or higher qualification in the last 2 years. This could be a:

  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Master’s degree
  • Doctoral degree
  • Postgraduate diploma

This qualification must be in an engineering discipline, such as:

  • Civil engineering
  • Structural engineering
  • Chemical engineering
  • Environmental engineering
  • Electrical and electronics engineering
  • Mechanical, production and plant engineering
  • Mining and material engineering

Educational institutions:

You must have completed your engineering qualification at a specified educational institution. Any institution offering an Engineering qualification accredited under the Washington Accord is a specified institution. If you studied at an institution or college that is only affiliated with a Washington Accord specified institution, you would not satisfy this requirement. Your institution itself must be accredited under the accord.

We will also accept an engineering degree (or higher qualification) from:

  • Argentina – Catholic University of Argentina
  • Brazil – Federal University of Minas Gerais
  • Chile – Universidad Catolica del Norte
  • Chile – Catholic University of Chile
  • Chile – University of Chile
  • Chile – University of Concepcion
  • Finland – HUT, Helsinki
  • Germany – RWTH, Aachen
  • Germany – Technical University of Berlin
  • Germany – Technical University of Clausthal
  • Germany – TU Bergakademie Freiberg
  • Germany – University of Hannover
  • Hungary – University of Miskolc
  • India – Anna University, Chennai
  • India – Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
  • India – Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
  • India – Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
  • India – Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
  • Iran – Amir Kabir University of Technology
  • Iran – University of Tehran
  • People’s Republic of China – Beijing Normal University
  • People’s Republic of China – Beijing Petroleum University
  • People’s Republic of China – Beijing University of Chemical Technology
  • People’s Republic of China – Beijing University of Technology
  • People’s Republic of China – China University of Mining and Technology, Beijing
  • People’s Republic of China – Guangzhou University
  • People’s Republic of China – Shanghai University of Engineering Science
  • People’s Republic of China – Shanghai Jiaotong University
  • People’s Republic of China – Tongji University
  • People’s Republic of China – Tsinghua University
  • People’s Republic of China – University of Science and Technology, Beijing
  • Philippines – University of the Philippines
  • Poland – Wroclaw University of Technology
  • Slovakia – TU Kosice
  • Sweden – Lulea University of Technology
  • Tanzania – University of Dar es Salaam

Other Requirements

  • You must pass the character and health
  • You must obey all Australian laws during your residency.
  • You must be under 31 years of age.
  • You and your family members must have paid back any debt owing to the Australian government, if any.
  • You must have not had a visa previously cancelled.
  • You cannot have previously held a 485 or 476 visa.
  • Pass English requirements (usually a 6+ overall and 5+ in each area of the IELTS test). Holding a passport from Ireland, the UK, the US, Canada or New Zealand exempts you from this requirement. Further details on English requirements are available here.


The base application fee for this visa stream starts at $375, with additional fees for any dependent family members you include in your application.

Is this visa right for me?

Select this visa if you’ve graduated from an engineering bachelor’s degree recently. This visa is a great option for recent engineering graduates, as it allows you to obtain a temporary working visa without as many conditions as the 485 visa scheme (Temporary Graduate Visa – Graduate Work Stream). You can also obtain temporary residency up to two years after you’ve graduated, unlike the only six months that 485 visa applicants get.

Still unsure whether this visa suits your circumstances? Get in touch with AIS Immigration Solutions today to speak to a skilled migration agent. Our team have decades of experience in helping students just like you obtain working visas to extend their stay in Australia. If you can’t make it to our Brisbane office, why not book a one-on-one skype meeting with one of our migration agents?

Send us an enquiry for advice on your temporary graduate work visa or give us a call on +61 7 3216 0052. Our migration agents are ready to assist.