To obtain Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408) you must meet the following criteria:
- intend to stay in Australia for three months or less. To meet this requirement, you must apply from outside Australia, and have the support of an organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events or activities being undertaken. This individual or organisation must pass the support test.
- intend to stay in Australia for more than three months. You must sponsored by an approved sponsor for this visa who passes the sponsorship test.
- meet the requirements of the activity type in which you are applying for this visa.
- have adequate financial support for you and your family while you are in Australia.
- have adequate arrangements for health insurance while you are in Australia.
- meet health and character requirements.
- genuinely intend to remain temporarily in Australia to do the work or activity specified in your application.
Eligible Activities include:
Entertainer: to work in the entertainment industry in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles.
Invited participant: for people who are invited for stays up to 3 months by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious and other community events.
- to participate or observe in an Australian research project after being invited to do so.
- to undertake a research activity at an Australian tertiary or research institution related to your field of study.
Religious worker: to be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.
Special program: to participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits.
- play, coach, instruct or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation
- participate in a high-level sports training program
Exchange: to work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
- give participants an opportunity to experience another culture
- enhance international relations
- broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.
Superyacht crew: to be employed as a superyacht crew member on board a superyacht in Australia.
Domestic worker (executive): to work full time in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
Australian Government endorsed event: to participate in a government endorsed major event.
Genuine Temporary Entrant:
The genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) is an integrity measure to ensure that the temporary visa programme is used as intended and not as a way to maintain ongoing residency in Australia. Temporary residents are generally not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years by applying for this visa.
The GTE requirement applies to all temporary activity visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will consider whether the individual circumstances of the visa applicant indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.
You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
When assessing the GTE requirement, the following will be considered:
- your circumstances
- your immigration history
- compliance with visa conditions
- if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
- any other relevant matter.
Length of stay:
- If invited by an organisation to participate in a specific event – 3 months
- If participating in Australian government activities – 4 years
- All other activities – 2 years
Applying within Australia
If you apply for this visa while you are in Australia you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.
Applying from outside Australia
If you are applying from outside of Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for three months or less, the organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events/activities you will be involved in must pass the support test.
If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for more than three months you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.
If you intend to stay in Australia for more than 3 months you must provide the following from your sponsor:
- Sponsors Transaction Reference Number or Sponsorship Application ID
- Sponsor approval letter or receipt for lodgement of the sponsorship application.
- A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for you and all dependant family members included in your application.
Application fees for this visa start at $285, but additional fees will apply if you have dependant family members included in your application.
Is this visa right for me?
This visa is suitable for you if you intend to pursue any one of the following activities within Australia on a temporary basis:
- Entertainment work in the film, television or production industry.
- Research, either as an observer taking part in an Australian study or participant in your own research through an Australian tertiary or research institution.
- Religious work
- Domestic work
- Are invited by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events.
- Are employed to work on a superyacht
- Play, coach or instruct sport under contract to an Australian club or organisation
- Are on exchange
- Are undertaking Government endorsed work