The new Temporary Sponsored Parent visa is due to be released in late 2017 if the Migration Amendment (Family Violence and other Measures) Bill is passed. More details will be made known on its introduction. What do we know for now?
- Granted for 3 or 5 years, maximum stay is 10 years in total
- 3-year visa costs AUD$5,000
- 5-year visa costs AUD$10,000
- No Balance of Family Test
- No bond required
- No work rights
- Only can undertake short-term, informal study
- Maintain health insurance from an Australian provider through the period of their stay
- Cannot have outstanding public health debt in Australia
- Meet health and character requirements
- Only one set of parents per household (that is maximum two people) can be sponsored for this visa at a time.
- Biological, adoptive, or a step child of their parent
- Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- 18 years or older
- Have lived in Australia for at least four years
- Meet a household income requirement
- Meet character requirements
- Accept legal liability for any outstanding public health debt their sponsored parent accrues
The sponsor and applicant will be assessed separately. The sponsor application must be approved before the visa application for the parent can be made.